Keeping your enterprise’s projects organized and functioning reliably is a vital administrative task. ZEDEDA’s Zero Touch Deployment feature makes that task easier by giving you the ability to automate policy assignments and application instance deployments on your fleet of edge nodes. By automating these activities, your fleet will behave reliably with less administrative input.
Zero-Touch Deployments is facilitated by ZEDEDA's tagging and Project systems. When you onboard a new edge node or add a new application to one of your projects, you will be prompted to assign tags to it. Likewise, when you create a new deployment in one of your projects, you will also be prompted to assign tags to it. ZEDEDA Cloud matches the tags on your edge nodes to the tags on your deployments and applications associated with the same project. Matching policies will be applied to matching nodes, and matching applications will be instantiated and deployed on matching nodes.
To change which deployment is applied to one of your edge nodes, or to deploy either additional or different application instances on one of your edge nodes, all you need to do is change the tags on that node to match those on your applications. ZEDEDA Cloud will handle the rest.
Zero-Touch Deployments makes sophisticated versioning strategies and rollbacks in your projects easy. For example, you may have two sets of edge nodes in one of your projects. You may want to deploy one application or apply one policy to all of the nodes in one set and another application or policy to all of the nodes in your other set. Or you may want to roll one set back to a previous application or policy version. You can do all of this easily with Zero-Touch Deployments.
You should be familiar with ZEDEDA projects.
GUI operations with ZEDEDA deployments
Create a new deployment
To create a new deployment, you need to create a new project with the Deployment type. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click on Administration, on the side nav.
- Select Projects from the menu.
- Click on the plus icon to add a new project to your enterprise.
- Fill in the Details form, select the Deployment option form the Type dropdown. Click Next.
- Fill in the Deployments form. Click Next.
- Configure the policies for your deployment. Click Next.
- Review your new project settings. When you are ready, click Add.
Create a new deployment version
Existing deployments cannot be updated. You can, however, create new versions of existing deployments. ZEDEDA Cloud retains up to 100 of your most recent deployments per project.
To update an existing deployment, follow these steps:
- Select the appropriate project from your Projects page.
- Click the Deployments tab.
- Click the Pencil icon.
- Click Add Deployment.
- Enter the tag names for your new deployment version.
- Update your new version's policy configurations.
- Click Save.
You should see your new deployment version at the top of your project's list of deployments. It will have an incremented version number in the Version column.
Rollback a deployment
You can reactivate any of your stored versions at any time. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to the Edge Node page and click on your Edge Node.
- Click on the Basic Info tab.
- Choose the pencil icon.
- Change the Deployment Tag Name of the node to match the tag of the deployment version you want to apply.
- Click Save.
Delete a deployment
ZEDEDA will automatically delete you project's oldest deployment whenever you exceed 100 deployments in that single project. To manually delete a deployment version, follow the steps to create a new deployment version, but select Remove Deployment instead of Add Deployment.