ZEDEDA Cloud session tokens enable you to authenticate your HTTP requests with the ZEDEDA Cloud API. You’ll need to authenticate with our API if, for example, you’d like to use it to make a curl request to your enterprise or write a script to automate a workflow that involves your enterprise.
This guide explains how to configure enterprise-level session token expiration and how to create your own token.
Session token expiration
All session tokens expire after an amount of time that you set when you create them. The range of times that you can choose from depends on how your enterprise is configured. Enterprise administrators can set only the maximum bound.
By default, your enterprise configuration will restrict session token expiration time to a maximum of three months. The minimum expiration time, which is not configurable, is four hours.
Warning: When you change your enterprise’s minimum or maximum expiration times, all existing tokens will be invalidated, and your team will need to create new ones. Change your enterprise’s configuration with caution.
Configure enterprise-level expiration
In the ZEDEDA GUI, administrators can set the maximum time of validity for all session tokens in their enterprise. To do so, follow these steps.
- Click on your User Profile at the top right corner.
- Hover on Enterprise and select Settings.
- Click on the Edit button at the top right corner of the Details section.
- Set your intended value for Session Token Expiration.
- Click Save.
Note: You can hide the contents of Enterprise Settings for users who don’t have enough permissions by simply checking the Yes option for Hide Content.
Generate a token
In the ZEDEDA GUI, you can generate and use up to one personal session token at a time. Each token, by default, is valid for the maximum time allowed by your enterprise.
To generate a new session token for yourself, follow these steps.
- Click on your User profile at the top right corner of the page.
- Hover on your User Profile name and select User Details.
- Under the Session Information section, enter your intended value for Session Token Expiration.
- Click on the button Request Token. The token is generated and displayed in the UI.
- Optional: Click Copy to copy the token to your clipboard.
To use your session token with the ZEDEDA API, see our guide on How to use the ZEDEDA API.